Friday, March 09, 2018

66 YEARS OF THE NME: LAST PAPER ISSUE TODAY : DICK TRACY REPORTS



I have written several posts about my time at the NME (1975-1982) as a freelance, mainly using the pseudonym Dick Tracy. I wrote almost entirely about things that were not music but were related: books, films, campaigning issues, the music business, drugs and more. Above is my first and only cover story (1978) -  an investigative piece on record piracy and, below that, my first-ever story for the NME back in 1975. From small acorns...

In 2005, the year I started this blog, I wrote a long piece about how I got to the NME and my memories of that time, with lists of all the main stories I wrote that were published. My head is still full of other unrecorded reminiscences.

In 2012, the 60th year of the NME, a history book of the NME by Pat Long was published. I wrote a long review of this and a follow-up post  with corrections or amendments to the material that Pat had written about the non-musical journalism in the NME by myself and others. I was simultaneously grateful that some of my work merited acknowledgment.

Great times. My thoughts go out to all friends and comrades from those days.

NME now stands for No More Editions.

No comments: